Award-winning Iranian-born Canadian writer, director and producer Mostafa Keshvari’s feature film “Unmasked” film has a global humanitarian message that needs to be told.
‘Unmasked’ is a female-empowering feature film about a Muslim immigrant woman in North America. The film, which tackles gender bias, mandatory hijab, and women’s freedom, has won 28 awards at international film festivals garnering critical acclaim along its journey and continues to gain traction. It’s a story written, produced, and directed by Iranian-born Award Winning Canadian filmmaker Mostafa Kerhvari who says his film has a global humanitarian message that needs to be told. Mostafa is a filmmaker whose goal is to make the world a more conscious place one movie at a time.
“Unmasked” explores an immigrant couple in the US after the Trump travel ban inspired by the Muslim Ban movement around the globe and the challenges of Muslim immigrant women fitting into a new society. Longing for connection, a young Muslim immigrant woman secretly joins an acting class empowering her to unveil her true-self beyond limitations as passion and faith collide. Unfortunately, her passion for acting collides with her husband’s stricter interpretation of their faith. The Canadian produced film addresses some of the major social issues of our time including Mandatory Hijab, #Metoo, immigration, gender bias, and inequality all the while touching upon conflicts arising between faith, family, and community. “Unmasked” is available on Amazon.
Farash (Sara Omran) is an immigrant who arrives in North America accompanied by her husband Saeed (Hani Mefti). As Farash tries to connect with the world around her, Saeed will try to protect her and their daughter Maryan (Aya Ramadan), hiding them from the world. The solution Farash finds is joining an acting class, which will help her feel empowered at the same time as she releases her true self in a crash between faith and passion. Even though Farash finds the perfect escape for her oppressive life, the love she feels for her family provides a twist and becomes a highly dramatic scenario to witness.
Mostafa Keshvari is an award-winning Iranian-born Canadian writer, director, and producer based in Vancouver, British Columbia, and is a member of the Directors and Writers Guild of Canada. As a top graduate ofVancouver Film School, he has over 50 IMDB Awards and 4 Leo Award nominations. He started his film directing career in 2015. “Unmasked” is his first feature film.
His first short film “I Ran” was selected in Cannes Short Corner Film Festival in 2015. His films mainly explore social issues on minorities and have been featured on The New York Times, The Hollywood Reporter, The Guardian, TIMES, BBC, CBC to name a few. As the president of BC Minorities for Film and TV Society, Mostafa advocated for diversity and inclusion in the film.
At a time when the Coronavirus was starting to make headlines, Mostafa shot the first acclaimed feature film to address the Coronavirus pandemic and Xenophobia that comes with it. Entitled “Corona,” the Coronavirus thriller was shot just before the shutdown. This dramatic thriller puts the audience in the middle of an intense ride with a diverse set of characters trapped in an elevator with a Coronavirus suspect; fear and racism spread among them faster than the virus. With the rumor of coronavirus suspect circulating in the building, fear is spreading faster than the virus
Mostafa’s films range from feature-length to short, and animation. As a well-rounded artist, Mostafa is also a published poet and a professional painter at the Federation of Canadian Artists. “I want to give a voice to the voiceless people. As a minority artist and I not only entertain but empower the audience with my work.” Says, Mostafa Keshvari
“Unmasked is available on Amazon worldwide. “Corona” is available on Redbox, Spectrum, Fandango, Hoopla, Microsoft, Vudu, and Xfinity.
Mostafa Keshvari and actress Sara Omran are available for interviews upon request. Movie reviewers can request a screener for “Corona” and/or “Unmasked.”
For more information, interview requests, screeners, and photos please contact:
Lesley Diana | Lesley@thepromotionpeople.ca | 604-726-5575
Official links and social media:
- Unmasked Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0sLhwXu4w&t=52s
- GrandMuse Pictures LTD www.mostafakeshvari.com
- Mostafa Kesvari on DGC: https://www.directors.ca/directors/mostafa-keshvari
- Mostafa Kesvari on IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6157399/
- Winner, Merit Award of Awareness, Awareness Film Festival
- Winner, Award of Excellence, Canada International Film Festival
- Winner, Best Feature film at ARFF Amsterdam
- Winner, Jury Award for Best Feature Film, Independent Days
- Winner, Award of Merit, Accolade Competition for Best Feature Film
- Winner, Jury Prize for Best Screenplay, Out of The Can Film Festival
- Winner, Festival Price for Best Feature Film, Around International Film Festival
- Winner, Silver Award for Best Feature, California Film Awards
- Winner, Award of Excellence, Feature Film Drama, Depth of Field International Film Festival Competition
- Winner, Diamond Award, Best Director, Hollywood Film Competition
- Winner, October Award for Best Actress, Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards
- Winner, Platinum Award for Best Feature Film, Mindfield Film Festival Albuquerque
- Winner, Platinum Award, Best Actor, NYC Indie Film Awards